“We did it! I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and awe for the whole process.” Britt, Berkeley
Licensed Midwives are specialists in normal birth and follow the Midwifery Model of Care, a philosophy that views pregnancy and birth as normal, physiological events, and treats families as equal partners in their care. Midwives take a holistic view of pregnancy and birth: allowing clients access to the very best of modern medicine while also maintaining traditional knowledge.
You are provided with support, information and guidance to help make informed choices for your family. Care with a Licensed Midwife is comprehensive and individualized – as unique as you are. All care takes place in the comfort of your home.
Request a Free Consultation to see if we’ll be a good fit to work together!
Your prenatal care is tailored to your needs, however the standard care encompasses the following aspects and more.
- We will meet together with increasing frequency throughout your pregnancy, always assessing your and your baby’s health and wellbeing. Logistically this means every 3-4 weeks for first and second trimester, every 2 weeks in the third trimester, then weekly from 36 weeks until your baby is born.
- Having hour long visits allows ample time to get all your questions answered and to build our relationship.
- Prenatal visits include ongoing health assessments, nutritional counseling, diagnostic testing, preparation for birth and early parenting, emotional and physical support, natural recommendations for pregnancy discomforts, and much more.
- At the end of each appointment I will check your blood pressure and other vital signs, measure the growth of your uterus and baby, feel your baby’s position and together we’ll listen to your baby’s heartbeat.
Labor and Birth
I believe in allowing your body’s natural process to unfold and will provide you with as much or as little support and guidance as you need. The work of birthing a baby is individual and internal, there is no right or wrong way! I am there to make sure you and your baby are safe throughout the journey.
- Throughout your labor and birth I will help your partner/family to provide physical and emotional support.
- I will carefully monitor and assess your and your baby’s health during labor and birth.
- I will be with you through active labor until 3-4 hours postpartum.
- A second, experienced midwife will also be present for the birth and early postpartum.
- After your baby’s birth I will perform a complete newborn exam and assist you with breastfeeding
- The need for a hospital birth is not a failure, merely a change in venue. In the event that a hospital becomes the safest place to be for you or your baby I will continue to provide support and guidance and help you to advocate for yourself and your baby.
The care that midwives provide in the postpartum period is the hallmark of midwifery care! There are very few places in the healthcare system where the family is attended to as a unit with both the mother and baby receiving care together, acknowledging that you are still integrally connected.
- We will see each other a lot in the first few days and weeks after you have your baby! This gives you ample time to have your questions answered and your concerns addressed. I will come to your home 24-36 hours after the birth, then again on days 3, 5-7, 10-14, and then at 3 and 6 weeks.
- These appointments last at least an hour, in your home assessing your and your baby’s health.
- Extensive breastfeeding support.
- I provide you information on all aspects of newborn care and various parenting choices.
- All of my clients receive family planning counseling and are welcome to continue to see me for their well-person care (annual exams).
The cost for midwifery care is all inclusive of everything explained above as well as 24/7 availability by phone, text, pager, or e-mail for questions or concerns, access to my lending library, and a second Licensed Midwife who will assist me at the birth. We have a birth team meeting at 36 weeks where you will meet the second midwife. There are many qualified midwives in the community who assist me at births and we will talk about your preferences to find the right match for you.
“Julia is a calm, strong, and reassuring voice throughout the birth process.” Paul, Oakland